A printmaker who co-founded the Nantucket Printmakers with Janet Ball McGlinn. The Printmakers exhibited several times with The Main Street Gallery. Bradt taught printmaking techniques for the AAN workshop in the 1970s. The colors in his collograph prints were inked onto cardboard plates by hand, giving each print an individual character.
Schuyler Bradt, of McKinley Avenue, ‘Sconset, was a self-taught artist, Bradt had been an active member of the Artists Association of Nantucket for the past ten years. He was president of the Association in 1972-73. Prior to making the island his year-round home, he lived in Katonah, N.Y., spending the summer months in ‘Sconset. Bradt’s media was pressings and rubbings, pen and ink etching, wood-carving and photography. Photography had been an important part of his life before his retirement from active business. He was twice awarded a “best in show” at the Kenneth Taylor Galleries, in 1974 for a print and, in 1976 for an oil. He had also shown at the Little Gallery and the Main Street Gallery, at the Pisces Gallery in Wellfleet, in Essex, Conn., and had hd held a one-man show in Exeter, N.H., in 1974.
He was a founding member of the Nantucket Printmakers, the owner of the Siasconset Printmakers Workshop, was Printmaker in Residence in 1976-77, and was a member of the Print Club of Philadelphia. He was on the teaching staff of the Artists Association of Nantucket, instructing beginners’ classes in basic techniques.
He was a member of the Nantucket Historical Association, the Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association and the Friends of Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge.
Bradt was born May 22,1909.
He graduated from Allen-Stevenson School in New York City in 1924, from Pomfret School, Pomfret, Conn., in 1929, and from Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Me., in 1932. Following his graduation from college he became account executive for The John Price Jones Corp. in New York. In 1941 he entered upon the career which he followed for nearly twenty years - working in Inter-American Affairs in Washington and in other countries. His career was interrupted by service in the U.S. Naval Reserve during World War II when he was a Lieutenant Commander in the Bureau of Aeronautics in Washingtron. After the War he became a free lance writer and illustrator and was information consultant to International Basic Economy Corp. and the American International Association. He wrote and illustrated educational documentary and commercial motion pictures, etc. for Bethlehem Steel, the Boston Museum of Science, the National Audubon Society, Stephens Institute of Technology, the Arthur J. Rank Educational Films, the U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Army Signal Corps.
From 1956-1958 he worked in Venezuela where he developed and directed nation-wide agricultural information for the Rural Welfare Council. Upon his return, to the United States he became Regional Administrative Representative for Latin American programs for Rural Youth, Land Reform and Communications, with headquarters in Costa Rica. As director of the Inter-American Mass Communications Program he developed and conducted courses and seminars in all phases of communication for the Ministries of Agriculture, Public Health and Education in Cost Rica and Uruguay. He directed thirty cooperative research projects between Latin American and U.S. Universities. He was also, at the same time, working closely with the American International Association for Economic and Social Development, in New York City, which was founded by Nelson Rockefeller.