Levine grew up summering on Nantucket near the Kerr School of Art on Washington Street. He studied at the Brooklyn Museum School and at the Art Students League with Edwin Dickenson. Levine showed in the ‘45 Group exhibit of 1949 and became active with the AAN in 1951. He plays a central role in the Nantucket Arts Council, the Nantucket Atheneum, and St. Paul’s Church. He painted in the 60’s on Old South Wharf in the Granary Building, and in 1970 opened the seminal Main Street Gallery.