H. Gordon Hughes died at home in Ottawa, Ontario, on December 22, 1990, after a long illness. He was born in Quebec City in 1902, the son of the late Brigadier General and Mrs. H.T. Hughes of Victoria, British Columbia.
In 1928 he married Norah Rosamond of Almonte, Ontario.
He attended Lower Canada College in Montreal and later the Royal Military College at Kingston. While at RMC he won the recruit obstacle race and two different weights in boxing, middle weight and light heavy weight at the same time. He attended McGill University and graduated with a degree in Architecture. He was captain of McGill football in 1926 and heavyweight boxing champion of McGill for four years.
He built the Canadian National Research Council and also the addition to the Royal Canadian mint. During the war he served in the Royal Canadian Engineers and was attached to Engineer Operations at the War Office in London. Helater served in the 2nd Canadian Division. After the war he returned to Ottawa and became Chief of Hospital Design, Dept. of Health and Welfare. He retired in 1963 and moved to Nantucket where he was a summer visitor from 1963 until 1985 at his home at Poverty Point.